August 15 is International Geocaching Day! It’s a day devoted to enjoying what we love–geocaching. Geocachers who log a “Found it” on Saturday, August 15 will earn a souvenir for their Geocaching profile page! Even though the Geocaching 20th Anniversary Celebration has been rescheduled to International Geocaching Day next year doesn’t mean you should skip it! Here are five ways to celebrate this year.
- Earn new souvenirs. Go geocaching and earn souvenirs for International Geocaching Day, Memory Lane, and Wonders of the World. How many can you get?
- Place a geocache. With the new cache owner dashboard, cache ownership online is easier than ever before. Add to the creativity and diversity of geocaching with a find-worthy hide of your own! If you’re new to cache hiding, we’ve compiled our top tried and true steps for hiding your first cache here.
- Find an August geocache. There are over 290,000 active geocaches that have been hidden in the month of August in the past 20 years. This could be the start of your Jasmer Challenge! PS. Premium members can use the new search by date filters to easily find these caches!
- Reflect on your experiences. Take a moment to look back at all of the geocaching adventures you’ve had! If you’re one for photos, take a look at our five ideas on how to display your geocaching log photos—from postcards to cookies.
- Award a Favorite point. Premium members can award Favorite points to the geocaches they enjoyed the most. They are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most while also letting the cache owner know that you loved finding their geocache. Since geocaching starts with cache hiders, be sure to share the love on International Geocaching Day and every day!
International Geocaching Day is the perfect occasion to hike with family and friends, enjoy the outdoors, and log one, two, or a dozen smileys! How are you celebrating this year? Share your own ideas in the comments below!